Home » Purpose » Environmental Sustainability » Waste to Wealth
Waste to Wealth
PepsiCo Solid Waste Management Programme
PepsiCo India continues to strengthen its Solid Waste Management initiatives in partnership with Exnora,
an environmental NGO. This award-winning, income-generating partnership provides a clean environment to
more than 465,000 people across Pammal, Chennai, Nagapattinam, Tenkasi and Cuddalore in Tamil Nadu,
Sangareddy in Andhra Pradesh and Panipat, Haryana.
- A unique income-generating partnership with leading environmental NGO, Exnora, a
pioneer in waste management.
- Community members enjoy the benefits of a clean environment and are educated on how to
recycle waste, not just relocate it.
- Households segregate their bio-degradable waste from their recyclable waste, and the programme
recycles 80 percent of household garbage. Bio-degradable waste is converted into organic manure through
the process of vermi-culture. This project provides livelihood to more than 600 community green ambassadors members.
- Recyclable waste such as PET and plastics, waste paper and tetra packs are recycled.
- The community awareness programme includes door-to-door campaigns and street plays to motivate people
to segregate organic and inorganic garbage at source to enable recycling.
- Every aspect of the programme is built around community and government participation
to help the programme evolve into a self-sustaining model.
- The initiative recycled nearly 35,000 tons that would have otherwise been relocated to landfills.
- The unique PepsiCo–Exnora initiative in Pammal was awarded the environmental
Golden Peacock Award for Innovation in 2006.
- The Zero Solid Waste Centre in Pammal was recognized as a model project by UNICEF in 2007.
- PepsiCo–Exnora Waste to Wealth programme won the BSE NASSCOM Social and Corporate Governance Award 2008.
India Sustainability Report 2009 2010/11
India Sustainability Report Overview
Read more »